Ohio’s Motor Vehicle Repair Board in Jeopardy
ASA Urges Automotive Shop Owners to Contact the Legislators
On the Sunset Review Committee –Please Read & Act Today!
Click HERE for list of Legislators on the Sunset Review Committee
Click HERE for sample letter to send to the legislators
Ohio’s legislators are considering a proposal to dismantle the Board and eliminate it entirely! We must stand as and industry and tell our state legislators to support the Motor Vehicle Repair Board! Since its creation in the late 1990’s Ohio’s Motor Vehicle Repair Board (formerly the Collision Repair Board) has been a valuable resource to Ohio’s collision repair industry. Through the Board’s simple registration process, it has assisted businesses in becoming compliant with state and federal regulations and has given customers the peace of mind knowing that they are having their vehicles serviced by legitimate, law-abiding businesses.
Prior to the Board’s creation the image of Ohio’s collision repair industry was tarnished by illegitimate shops that cut corners and violated laws just to cut costs. This not only put consumers and the public at risk, but it also put law-abiding operators at a competitive disadvantage. Legitimate operators, trying to adhere to all the costly regulations required by them, simply could not compete with “back-alley” or “fly-by-night” entities, posing as legitimate businesses.
Unfortunately, some in the Ohio Legislature are questioning the purpose of the Board and are calling for its termination. The Board is currently being reviewed by a panel called the Sunset Review Committee, which is designed to review all boards and commissions. Please help protect the Board by contacting your legislators and explaining the vital role the board has had over the past 15 years.
- The Board was created at the request of BUSINESSES to ensure that laws applying to shop owners are equally and fairly enforced.
- Registration is simple and the Board helps assist repair businesses through any necessary paper work required by other state agencies.
- Without the Board “chop shops”, “fly-by-nights”, and other illegitimate repair operators would operate under the radar with no way of identifying them or bringing them into compliance.
- Repair shops operating illegally hurts legitimate businesses, the consumer and the State of Ohio.
- The Board informs collision repair professionals of available grants and training opportunities.
- Industry professionals serve on the Board and make decisions that protect the industry.
- The Board helps new shops become compliant and stay compliant when state and federal officials change policies or regulations.
Please contact the members of the Sunset Review Committee and urge them to protect the Motor Vehicle Repair Board. You can find the legislators serving on the Sunset Review. Click HERE for list of Legislators.
If you would like more information on ways you can protect the Motor Vehicle Repair Board from being eliminated please contact Matt Dougher at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-659-5324.